Research and Evaluation specialists
As data gathering and evaluation experts, the insights and evidence we collect create cutting edge and impactful development projects, programmes and campaigns. Using innovative platforms such as photovoice, storyboarding and infographics, coupled with participatory methods, we measure change and impact, guide decision-making and inform policy.
Our Evaluation Solutions include:
- Situation and needs analysis
- Feasibility studies
- Baseline studies
- Clarificatory / design evaluations
- Process / implementation evaluations
- Outcome and impact evaluations
- Monitoring and evaluation support services
- Instrument and methodology design
- Evaluation process support
- Piloting and testing of research methodology
- Data collection and fieldwork management (including fieldworker training)
- Evaluation reports, synthesis of findings, peer review and recommendations
- Dissemination of evaluation findings through communities of practice, workshops and seminars
- Creative showcasing of best practice, data visualization, infographics, stories of change, case studies, film and audio-visual content
Our Research Solutions include:
- Benchmarking and policy analysis
- Socio-economic research
- Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods
- Electronic, telephonic and face-to-face surveys
- In-depth interviews and focus groups
- Desktop research, documentation, case studies and literature reviews
- On-site observations and documentation
- Creative data collection methods, including photovoice, storyboarding and transect walks
Forensics for Social Justice
As analysts and investigators, the evidence we collect provides a compelling case for action. Applying scientific methods, strategies and processes, together with our partners’ incisive investigative and legal skills, we work to oppose corruption in the public and private sector, strengthen institutions and advocate for social justice.
Capacity Building and Empowerment
The tried and tested methods of our customised training courses will equip you and your organisation with the right tools for your workplace. Build your capacity and empower yourself with the right knowledge so that you can be an agent for change.
Our core trainings include:
- Monitoring, evaluation, research and learning
- Evaluation design and ethics
- Qualitative data collection
- Creative data collection and data visualisation
- Design thinking
Our support includes:
- Design thinking
- Coaching and mentorship
- Programme design and development
- Reflection and innovation planning
Internships for aspiring Changemakers
Our international and local internship programmes are designed to give graduates compelling work experience at organisations in need of their skills. A new generation of Changemakers is emerging. Let’s harness their potential together.
Inspiring Changemakers Trust is our customised South African internship programme which provides young, talented South Africans with opportunities through a funded skills development programme of capacity building, learning and mentorship. Partner organisations also benefit through skills and capacity transfer, enabling them to give back and support young South Africans whilst delivering their services more effectively.
If I could… is our international internship, volunteer and purposeful travel programme that matches international candidates with nonprofit partners. In this way we’re able to connect the development sector to a network of emerging global development practitioners simultaneously promoting skills development, capacity building, organisational development and tourism in South Africa, Vietnam and India.
Communities of Practice
We are connected, offline and online, to a global network of development practitioners where we engage and learn, and share knowledge and expertise. Changing the world is best achieved through collective action.
Development Works Changemakers uses an approach that works for change! At Development Works Changemakers we’ve got what it takes to make impactful change! With over 15 years accumulated experience we can effectively respond to global development challenges. This is how:
We believe in always giving of our absolute best
Our long standing client relationships are testament to our commitment to produce the highest quality work possible, within budget and on time. Our experience across 100+ research and evaluation studies attest to our dedication and quality work.
We believe in stories to motivate people
We understand that it’s the stories and case studies of change and personal experiences that shape improvements and growth in our organisations and communities. We use powerful storytelling as a key function to motivate people to act.
We believe in the power of the collective to get things done
All stakeholders have value to add and we believe in the power of the collective to collaboratively shape conversations, plans, processes and outcomes.
We believe in learning by doing
By providing hands-on learning experience through workshops and incubations, we empower participants to put theory into practice. This helps them to navigate the complex world of development.
We are open to new ideas to shape change. We want to form new partnerships and work together with others to develop campaigns that will make a difference. We want to be part of activities and initiatives that inspire and motivate to drive the change we want to see in the world. Contact us today to discuss collaborations and collective efforts as we co-create our ideal world together and a new model of social change. (hyperlink to click to email email@example.com)
Bill Drayton inspires us. This is what he says about social entrepreneurs:
The first – the most obvious (test of a true social entrepreneur) – is : are they possessed, really possessed by an idea … The idea – making it happen across society – is something they are married to in the full sense of the word. One key test of that is this: Is this an idea that you see growing out of their whole life? I get very, very suspicious when I see someone who had an idea two years ago. It just doesn’t ring true. Because with the typical entrepreneur you can see the roots of the interest when they’re very young. There’s a real coherence to people’s lives. Bill Drayton, Founder and CEO of Ashoka
- Social entrepreneurs are not content just to give a fish or teach how to fish. They will not rest until they have revolutionised the fishing industry.
- Social entrepreneurs don’t want to help. They want to change the world.
- Social entrepreneurship is very contagious because people deeply and centrally want to express love and respect in action.
So why do we need a changemaker world:
- The one single factor that determines society’s success is the percentage of changemakers within it.
- The most critical variable [to becoming a changemaker] is one’s willingness to give oneself permission. To break the mental chains that make us small because everyone tells us we cannot. We have to have a revolution analogous to the civil rights movement, or the women’s movement, so that all young people, not just the children of the few fortunate families who go to the best schools that actually encourage this, but everyone grasps empathy, practices it, and then practices empathy, teamwork, leadership. this is the most fundamental revolution we have to get through.
- Every child must master the skill of empathy.